Call for Entries: 17th Annual Regent Park Film Festival’s Emerging Directors’ Spotlight and Pitch Competition
The Regent Park Film Festival (RPFF) is inviting up-and-coming filmmakers to submit a short film and a future project proposal for our annual Opening Night tradition, the Emerging Directors’ Spotlight and Pitch Competition!
Part showcase and pitch event, this exciting platform first screens works from the best of Canada’s emerging talent, who then go onto pitch their next idea to a jury of industry experts in front of a live audience for the chance to win a development deal with the CBC* and a $1000 cash reward, courtesy of RBC.
The Emerging Directors’ Spotlight and Pitch Competition is free to enter, open to all ages and directors, producers and creators of all genres and styles.
We highly encourage submissions by filmmakers from marginalized communities (Black, Indigenous, Person of Colour, Person with Disabilities, LGBTQSAA+, Women) and films that feature these communities.
*Development at CBC
Entering into a development agreement with CBC means that you are granting CBC the first and exclusive option to pick up your project. During development, CBC and you will agree upon creative deliverables which could be scripts, a demo, a research report etc. Once a creative deliverable is completed and sent to CBC, the 12 month option period begins. At any time during the 12 months, CBC may exercise its option to do some further development or to green light your project for production, where you and CBC will enter into negotiations for the licence of your program. Should CBC not wish to exercise its option, you may take your project elsewhere. If a third party licences the program, CBC would expect a refund of the development advance and a credit acknowledging CBC’s involvement in the program.
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or have permanent resident status
- Must identify as ‘’emerging’’ ie. directed or produced no more than 2 films for festival and/or broadcast
- Selected candidates must commit to a mentorship session date TBD and the live pitch on Wednesday, November 20th, 2019.
- Permanent CBC employees are not eligible to apply
Emerging Directors’ Spotlight Eligibility:
- Short film, doc or web-series episode for showcase must be a maximum length of 30 minutes (i.e. no feature films)
Pitch Competition Eligibility:
- Fiction or nonfiction (i.e. short doc, short film, or scripted web series)
- Must have a fully developed script or treatment
- Projects with existing equity investment and/or distribution commitments are ineligible.
How to Apply:
The deadline to apply is by Tuesday, September 24th at 11:59 pm. You must submit both short film and pitch proposal to be considered.
For any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are now closed.