Are you a filmmaker looking to get your web series off the ground? Have a great idea that you need help developing into a web series? The Regent Park Film Festival is currently offering 6 spots to talented emerging filmmakers to take part in our Writing the Web Series Intensive!
Along with artist, writer and educator Motion, the Regent Park Film festival will be running Writing the Web Series Intensive which will take place over 7 months and will offer sessions to support emerging filmmakers in creating the best foundation for their web-series creation, and access to some of the best film festivals and conferences in Toronto.
Writing the Web Series Intensive will guide 6 emerging filmmakers to:
- Create character and story arcs over an entire season of their developing web series
- Work through issues of representations to create complex and rich characters and storyline
- Write a pilot episode
- Host a public reading of their pilot episode at the 15th annual Regent Park Film Festival
- Gain familiarity with and access to the web-series and filmmaking world by providing passes to film festivals and conferences in the city.
Timeline & Dates:
- Every Thursday evening in May and June, from 6:30pm-9:30pm at the Regent Park Film Festival offices (Exact dates: May 4, 11, 18, 25, June 1, 8, 15, 22, 29)
- Writing Break: July & August
- 3 additional sessions in the fall (TBD)
- The 15th annual Regent Park Film Festival will take place Nov 15-18.
Participants will receive passes to the following festivals and conferences:
Motion is an award-winning screenwriter, playwright and storyteller. Her work has been screened at the ReelWorld Film Festival and Africa International Film Festival, and staged at Factory Theatre, Theatre Center, bcurrent’s Rock.Paper.Sistaz, Rhubarb Festival’s Black Lives, Black Words and Obsidian’s International Black Playwrights Festival. She is also an alumna of the Canadian Film Center.
Motion is our lead facilitator, guiding participants through the process of developing their stories and scripts, and navigating new interactions and opportunities made available through the Intensive.
Photo by: Zahra Siddiqui
Rania El Mugammar is a Writer, Arts Educator, Community Organizer and Equity,Anti-Oppression and Inclusion Educator, who will engage with participants in working through difficult questions of representations as they set out to write their scripts and create their arcs.
Photo by: Zahra Siddiqui
Regent Park Film Festival’s Writing for Web Series Intensive is made possible with funding from the Ontario Arts Council, and enriched with the support of the Toronto International Film Festival, Reel World and T.O WebFest.